Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Inline skates- Need a recommendation.?

So as a kid, I used to skate a lot...everywhere I went really. I tried getting into the extreme aspects of it, but wasn%26#039;t fond of busting my knees and breaking bones. Nowadays, I%26#039;ve been thinking about getting back into it. That is, I%26#039;m just looking to take up skating again as a means of doing some exercise and getting around to sightsee and take care of random errands.





So what type of skate is best for street/sidewalk skating? I%26#039;ve been looking at Hockey Skates, simply because they seem a bit more durable, low profile, and I like the fact that they are secured by laces and not buckles. What do you guys think?





I know that I%26#039;ll need harder wheels for skating on the concrete...and some decent bearings to boot. I%26#039;m more interested in the type or style of skate that would work best here, or if it even matters at all. So far I%26#039;m leaning towards a set of Missions...albeit a bit pricey, they%26#039;ve got good reviews.





What say you?

Inline skates- Need a recommendation.?
I say, %26quot;Good for you%26quot;. Skating is good, fun, low-impact exercise, and can be a great mode of transportation!





The main thing when purchasing skates, is that it is comfortable! I definitely recommend soft boots vs the hard, plastic shells; many companies carry them like Rollerblade, Salomon, %26amp; K-2. Another good brand is Hypno, that has detachable frames, for situations when you don%26#039;t want to, or can%26#039;t roll. Most of them are lace-ups, with maybe a power-strap @ the ankles, which is good to have, if you decide to sprint one day. Otherwise, you can keep the strap loose. They are quite a bit cheaper than Mission hockey skates, and if you like low-profile, you can always get smaller wheels, but I would not recommend anything smaller than 76mm wheels for skating around. I tell my skate club members to try to get skates that accomodate larger wheels, so that they can start with smaller wheels (76mm-80mm), and switch %26#039;up%26#039; as they get better. With smaller wheels, you need to push harder to go faster. Nowadays, many of the recreational skates come with 100mm wheels. The advantage? They roll better, and because it%26#039;s larger, you do not feel all the bumps %26amp; cracks on the road %26amp; sidewalks. But because it is large, you are also higher off the ground, which can also feel a little unstable.





As far as the hardness of the wheels, if you%26#039;re planning to skate on really smooth concrete and/or asphalt, it%26#039;s ok to have a hard wheel. Just remember, harder wheels do not grip, like softer ones. Most wheels have the size (mm) and the hardness stamped on them. The hardness is the number with an %26#039;A%26#039; after it (78A). The harder the wheel, the higher the number. Most outdoor skaters I know prefer the mid-range; low 80%26#039;s (82-83A). Alot of indoor skaters (very smooth surface) like the hard wheels (85-86A). So, if you have smaller wheels, and you want to skate outdoors, I would recommend softer wheels in the range of 78-80A, because of its inability to absorb the shock as well as a larger wheel.





Modern skates all come with pretty decent bearings. These also have a ratings called abec (abec 1, 2, 3, etc.). In essence, the higher the number, the better the performance. I recommend at least an abec 3, and look for ones that are easy to maintain (easy to open, clean, and lubricate). Unless you abuse them, like skating in water or sand, you probably won%26#039;t have to clean them too much.





I hope you find a comfortable pair of skates that you like! Happy Rolling! (^_^)



microsoft

No comments:

Post a Comment